Anxiety and Depression
Anxiety and depression are an important part of addiction. They can lead to addiction, and addiction can lead to anxiety or depression. People sometimes use drugs and alcohol to escape the feelings of anxiety or depression.
Approximately 15 to 30 percent of addicts suffer from both addiction and underlying depression. This is sometimes called a dual diagnosis. People who have both depression and addiction often have a repeating pattern of staying sober for a while and then relapsing because they feel awful.
To learn more about anxiety, depression, and how to treat them, please look at the public service website:
In the book "I Want to Change My Life" you'll learn:
- The symptoms and causes of anxiety
- Relaxation techniques to overcome and prevent anxiety
- The diagnosis and causes of depression
- Cognitive therapy techniques to treat and prevent depression
- Relapse prevention for addiction and the stages of relapse
- The 5 rules of recovery. The five things you need to do to succeed in recovery.